On February 6, 2023, the Minister of Finance and Economic Development introduced the 2023–2024 budget. In terms of taxes, the budget suggests:
- To increase value-added tax (VAT) compliance, electronic billing and invoicing technologies are being introduced.
- The implementation of a digital marking and tracking solution for excisable commodities to ensure that legitimate tariffs and taxes are paid on manufactured and imported goods.
- Enhanced capacity to use non-intrusive technology (scanners) to curb cases of non-compliance by importers at ports of entry.
- Enhancing the tax audit function and implementing the “Debt Recovery Strategy.”
- To reduce barriers preventing Botswana and businesses from accessing land, the Transfer Duty Act has been amended.
- Examining the list of items with zero or no VAT.
Effective date: 6 February 2023