The IRS has extended the deadline for its temporary policy of accepting electronic signatures (e-signatures) on forms that taxpayers cannot otherwise file electronically. The IRS regulation has been updated to accept e-signatures until 31 October 2023, rather than 31 December 2021.
E-signatures in any of the following formats will be accepted:
- a typed name on a signature block;
- a scanned or digitized image of a handwritten signature, when attached to an electronic record;
- a handwritten signature input onto an electronic signature pad;
- a handwritten signature, mark or command input on a display screen with a stylus device; or
- a signature created by a third-party software.
Effective date: 31 December 2021